Tranfusion Guideleines For Premature Infants- Cloherty
1. Asymptomatic infants with Hct less than 21 % and reticulocytes less than 100, 000/UL (2%)
2. Infants with Hct less than 31% and any of below
- hood O2 less than 36% or mean airway pressure less than 6 cm H2O by CPAP or IMV
- more than 9 apneic and bradycardic episodes per 12 h or 2/24 h requiring bag and mask ventilation while on adequate methylxanthine therapy
- HR more than 180/min or RR more then 80/min sustained for 24 h
- Weight gain of less than 10 g/d for 4 d on 100 Kcal/kg/d
- Having surgery
3. Infants with Hct less than 36% and requiring more than 35% O2 or mean airway pressure 6-8 cm H2O by CPAP or IMV
CPAP = continuous positive airway pressure by nasal or endotracheal route; HR = heart rate; Hct = hematocrit; IMV = intermittent mandatory ventilation; RR = respiratory rate. From the multicenter trial of recombinant human erythropoietin for preterm infants.
Source: Data from Straus RG. Erythropoietin and neonatal anemia (Editorial). N Engl J Med 1994;330:1227.